Workshop co-organised by the European Committee of the Regions & Conference of Regional Legislative Assemblies of the EU (CALRE) within the framework of the European Week of Regions and Cities.
Addressing crisis, but also establishing sound and efficient long-term policies adopting legislation and regulation at the right government level (subsidiarity) and implementing these in a spirit of partnership and coordination between all levels of government (MLG) is essential. The success of the EU is built on this concept of cooperation and solidarity between Member States and between regions and cities. In this context, is MLG and active subsidiarity enough to ensure a sustainable recovery?
11:30 – 11:35 Introduction
Moderator: Mark Speich (DE/EPP), Secretary of State for Federal, European and International Affairs in North Rhine-Westphalia (Germany), and chair of CIVEX commission of the European Committee of the Regions
11:35 – 12:15 Trade-offs between strong regional powers, leadership and multi-level governance in the recovery agenda
Debate and dialogue with:
- Simona Piattoni, Professor University of Trento, Italy
- Serafín Pazos-Vidal, Author of book on Subsidiarity and EU Multilevel Governance: Actors, Networks and Agendas
- Dorothée Allain-Duppré, OECD Head of Unit: Decentralisation, public investment and subnational finance ESG/CFE
- Karl Heinz Lambertz (BE/PES), Chair of the European Committee of the Regions Subsidiarity Steering Group, President of the Parliament of the German-speaking Community of Belgium
- Francesca Campolongo, Deputy Director of the ‘Growth and Innovation’ Directorate and the Head of the ‘Finance & Economy” Unit of the European Commission Joint Research Centre
- European Parliamentary Research Service (EPRS)
12:15 – 12:55 Panel II: Assessing the functioning of multi-level governance in the context of the recovery and resilience agenda – the perspective of EU Regional Legislative Assemblies
Moderator: Antje Grotheer (DE/PES), Vice-President of Bremen City Parliament (Germany) and member of the European Committee of the Regions
Debate and dialogue with:
- Blanca Martín Delgado (ES/PES), President of Extremadura Regional Assembly
- Roberto Ciambetti (IT/ECR), president of the Regional Council of Veneto, member of the European Committee of the Regions
- Piero Mauro Zanin, President and Member of the Regional Council of Friuli-Venezia Giulia, member of the European Committee of the Regions
- Gustavo A. Matos Expósito (ES/PES), President of the Parliament of the Canary Islands and President of the Conference of European Regional Legislative Assemblies (CALRE)
- Karl Freller, Vice-President of the Bavarian State Parliament, Germany
12:55 – 13:00 Conclusion
Moderator: Mark Speich (DE/EPP), Secretary of State for Federal, European and International Affairs in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, and chair of CIVEX commission of the European Committee of the Regions.